Sunday 12 January 2014

91. Beauty // Love Your Drain Campaign* & Skincare Routine

I was recently contacted by Northumbrian Water about their new Love Your Drain campaign. The Love Your Drain campaign aims to promote awareness of the negative effects of flushing beauty products down the toilet.

In an age where we are all too aware of how eco-friendly we should be, and when we have no excuses of "not knowing" how we are damaging the environment around us, and - myself - living in an incredibly beautiful rural area, which I'd hate to see suffer as a result of ignorance and laziness, this campaign really caught my eye.

As a beauty addict, I use cotton buds and face wipes (sorry guys! I know this is the cardinal beauty blogger sin) on a daily basis to remove make-up at the end of a long day, when I'm too tired to go through my more thorough skincare routine.

When I'm in a rush, I tend to remove my make-up with either a Simple or St. Ive's face wipe - which I personally find very refreshing to my skin - and then use Nivea's cleanser and toner, applying it with cotton pads . Depending on whether I'm removing my make-up in the bathroom or the bedroom, I'll either flush the remaining buds and wipes down the loo, or chuck them in the bin.

Little did I know - and this may surprise a lot of you ladies too! - that the damage flushing face wipes, cotton buds, pads, etc, down the toilet is huge. Below is a really interesting infographic that details some facts and tips about why you should - as Dwayne the Drain says - "make the bin part of your routine."

If you can't see this infographic clearly, please let me know and I will send you a copy!

Before this campaign, I had no idea how damaging wipes and cotton buds could be to our drainage systems. From now on I really will make the bin a part of my routine and refrain from flushing anything other than - sorry about the crudity - pee or poo, down the loo!

If you'd like to find out more about the Love Your Drain campaign you can use the #loveyourdrain hashtag on twitter, or follow @loveyourdrain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment