Saturday 6 July 2013

46. Recipes // Chai & Banana Cake

After a long, challenging day at work on Wednesday I decided to relax by baking something that I could enjoy whilst curled up on the sofa, whilst watching the television with my family.

I didn't have much spare money to spend on ingredients, so instead I scoured the cupboards and threw together what I could find and they just happened to be Chai tea and bananas... it's basically banana bread but with a twist.

The recipe is incredibly simple, it takes a while to cook, but the end result is delicious! I'm not really one for measuring things out, especially not spices, so you may want to chop and change the recipe a little bit as it won't be one hundred percent accurate anyway.

Just to note: I used 'cups' rather than weighing my ingredients. Where I say '1 cup' I mean short, fat tumbler.

Ingredients
2 cups wholemeal flour,
1tsp baking soda,
Pinch of salt,
1/2 cup of softened butter/margarine,
1 cup brown sugar,
2 eggs (I used duck eggs to make it that little bit richer),
4 bananas,
8 Chai teabags

Method
1. Mash up your bananas and rip open the Chai teabags - tip the contents into a small bowl,
2. Add all your ingredients (inc. banana and Chai) into a large bowl,
3. Either whisk or mix all ingredients until it's a smooth (apart from the chunks of banana!) mixture,
4. Pour mixture into a pre-greased loaf tin,
5. Bake in a pre-heated oven on Gas Mark 4 (180 degrees C/350 degrees F) for one hour, or until cooked through.


This cake honestly is so tasty! The fact that it contains wholemeal flour, brown sugar and bananas sort of makes it healthy... kind of... a little bit? Maybe not. But, either way, it's a lovely little treat and is best enjoyed warm.

Love, 
Becci xo

1 comment: