Sunday 5 May 2013

6. Recipes // Neon Cupcakes

Hello lovelies!

I hope everyone is enjoying their long weekend as much as I am! I worked yesterday but was back home by 5 o'clock and had a lovely night in with my family, drinking wine & nibbling on chocolate. It was just what I needed after a hard week at work.

Today has been equally relaxed; I had a long lie-in, I cooked myself a delicious hoisin and garlic vegetable stir-fry and then baked some goodies for my sister's 13th birthday (which is tomorrow, eek!)

Neon Chocolate Cupcakes
At 13, I felt like I really wanted to express myself with what I wore (which led to some rather horrendous outfit choices) and I wanted to stand out from the crowd. So when I saw these neon sugar decorations (from Sainsburys) I knew they'd be the perfect decoration for a 13-year-old's cake, as my sister is a lot like I was at her age. 

I followed a very simple chocolate cake recipe which I had found online, and then added the neon sugars as a twist.

Ingredients (for the cake mix):
125g self-raising flour,
125g caster sugar,
2tbsp cocoa powder (I just used Cadbury's drinking chocolate powder),
3 eggs,
1tbsp oil (you can also use golden syrup for a sweeter taste!),
125g butter (preferably not salted)

Ingredients (for the topping):
150g icing sugar,
Approx. 3tsp water,
2 tsp cocoa powder,
Sainsbury's Neon Sugar

It's a very easy recipe to follow as all you do is put all your ingredients for the cake mix in one bowl, mix them using a wooden spoon (I wouldn't use an electric whisk) until soft and smooth, then spoon into muffin/bun cases or into a cake-tin that has been greased already. 

I then cooked my muffins for 20 minutes in a pre-heated oven on gas mark 5/190 degrees/375 Fahrenheit  Once they'd cooled (about 10-15 minutes later) I covered the top of each cupcake with icing sugar and then sprinkled the neon sugars on top and left them to set.

I really hope my little sister likes these cupcakes! Next time, I'm going to make rainbow cupcakes and then decorate them with the same neon sugars as I think they're really good fun and very summery too!

Love, 
Becci xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment