Thursday 9 May 2013

11. Recipes // Homemade Chai Tea


Afternoon lovelies, two posts in a day, aren't you lucky? (or not, it may seem!)

A couple of weeks ago, there was a Spring Fair near to me which I snooped around for a good few hours! I managed to find a few lovely gifts from local businesses and one of them included a little Chai making kit, which I'd love to share with you as Chai tea is quite possibly my favourite drink and I think everyone should try it!

You can find out more about Chai, it's history and it's ingredients here 



The ingredients for the Chai came wrapped up in a piece of muslin cloth with a cute ribbon wrapped around the top. It looked absolutely adorable so I think they'd make a brilliant little present or stocking filler for somebody.

Inside the package was the following:



Cardamom,
Star Anise,
Cinnamon,
Ginger,
Nutmeg,
Cloves (sorry these aren't in the photograph!)
All Spice

I looked online for some recipes and ingredients lists and the quantities of each of the spices varied hugely, so I guess you can just choose depending on your personal preference. However, I will link some other recipes/ingredients lists at the end of this post.

The recipe I followed makes 4-6 cups of tea and any left over tea can be put in the fridge (once cooled) and used within 24 hours.

The Method:

- Wrap your ingredients in muslin cloth and tie quite tightly,
- With a rolling pin, break up the ingredients by bashing them,
- Fill a pan with 4 cups of cold water, put the parcel inside and bring to the boil,


- Simmer for a further 10 minutes then remove from the heat,
- Add 2 tea-bags and steep for 10 minutes,
- Add 1 cup of milk and 1-2 teaspoons of sugar (depending on preference),
- Re-heat slowly until frothy on top,
- Strain to ensure none of the little bits of spices make their way to your tea,
- Serve and enjoy!




There are some other excellent recipes for Chai here and one of my favourite bloggers, Rosalilium, also has a recipe for Chai concentrate here

Alternatively, if you don't fancy the hassle of making your own Chai, Marks and Spencer do a delicious Chai tea for a very reasonable price! Tesco's also make a few varities, including vanilla Chai for anyone who isn't quite as keen on the spice.


Let me know what you think of the recipe, is there anything you'd add or take away?


Lots of love, Becci


No comments:

Post a Comment