Sunday 19 May 2013

18. BEDM // Favourite Tradition

Hey lovelies

I said I was going to have a break from blogging to focus on my studies but blogging is so addictive, I just can't keep away!

Today's Blog Everyday in May topic is 'Favourite Tradition,' and I've been racking my brain to come up with ideas. But I think I've finally got a couple, so bare with.

Christmas always follows the same routine every year in our household. Starting the day with a Snowball (if you don't know what that is, you can find out here. One word: delicious) and exchanging gifts with all my siblings and parents, my grandparents then join us around midday for more presents, more drinks and, of course, my Dad's amazing Christmas dinner. The rest of the day is spent, as a family, either trialing out of new presents or watching films and Christmas specials on the television, whilst munching on Celebrations and  getting through copious amounts of alcohol.

For as long as I can remember, our birthday's have always had a slightly bizarre twist. This being an early morning phone-call from my grandparents. You answer the phone, "hello?" and you're greeted with "happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you..." for a good few minutes, whilst you wait for the ordeal to be over. I'm just kidding, it is lovely and very sweet! But always a bit awkward when you've answered the phone and been serenaded when it's actually your younger sisters birthday... Oops.

S and I ar3 and 1/2 years into our relationship so we're in the process of creating or discovering our very own traditions. Last November, for our 3-year anniversary, we visited Edinburgh for 3 days. It was S's first visit to the beautiful city, and we both thoroughly enjoyed it, vowing we'd go back again next year! So that's exactly what we're doing. For my 21st birthday, in October, S and I are heading up to Edinburgh for 4 days. There's so much stuff that we missed last year; Palace of Holyroodhouse, Camera Obscura, Princes Street Gardens, and we're guaranteed to visit those places this time and have an even better time. We'd also like to visit the city together during the Fringe festival, which we're planning to do next year, so it's looking like Edinburgh is becoming a bit of a holiday tradition for us.

For the last few months, we've developed another tradition between the two of us which is that we almost always cook a big Sunday roast for ourselves and S's dad on a Sunday afternoon. If we don't have the energy to cook one, we'll go to a local pub instead. It's a lovely, indulgent tradition that we hope to continue once we've got our own place. Maybe next time we should attempt to cook a Sunday dinner for both our families combined?!

I hope you've enjoyed my little traditions, do you any of you do anything similar?

Love,
Becci xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment