Wednesday 15 May 2013

16. BEDM // Life's a Lesson

When I saw the title for today's topic I won't lie - I panicked. I can't ever remember being given any advice that really stands out to me. I haven't got a philosophical Grandma who comes out with amazing, inspirational quotes or anything like that (I so wish I did.) Also, I've not been through any intense situations so far in my life, where my attitudes and principles have changed because I've learnt something new. 

But, I guess I've learnt an awful lot of little things along the way, in different aspects of my life and here are a few of them.

1) In a relationship, the past is the past for a reason. There is no need to know about who did what and who kissed who before you were together. I made the mistake of wanting to know everything and it really upset me, so if I were ever to start another relationship with someone else, this would be my top rule. I guess what I can say from this is: focus on the present

2) Never work a job that you hate, it will destroy you. I've had a few jobs over the years that I've not enjoyed, but only one that I've absolutely hated and I made the decision to walk away from it and I'm ridiculously proud of myself for standing my ground and doing so as the job was making me so miserable. Even if I now have less money, at least I've got my sanity and my happiness.

3) You only get out what you put in. This time I'm talking about friendships. Over the years, I've lost a few friends as I went into my own little world when my anxiety was bad and I wouldn't go out, I cancelled any plans I had and, generally, I just wasn't any fun to be around. Although this taught me that those people couldn't support me when I wasn't happy or well (and that, really, I didn't want or need them in my life), it also taught me to make more of an effort with people as it definitely does pay off. 

4) Being thin does not equal being happy. I've had a really bad relationship with my body and with food since I was about 10-years-old, I've tried every diet going, I've had to go to doctors, school nurses, counselors about it but I now feel like I'm starting to 'see the light' (as cheesy as that is!) I've recently discovered a lot of plus-size blogs and the confidence these women have is amazing. They show that you don't have to be stick-thin or even slim to be happy or sexy or have a great, fulfilling life. Although I would still like to be slimmer, I now know that's just so I feel a little bit more comfortable and healthy, not as a quick-fix solution to make me 'happy'.

I hope you've enjoyed reading the little bits of advice I've picked up over the years.
What's your favourite or most meaningful lesson you've learnt?

Lots of Love,
Becci xoxo

4 comments:

  1. I'm not exaggerating when I say that discovering fatshion and plus-size blogs changed my life. My relationship with my body is so much healthier since then.

    I especially love Arched Eyebrow (her body acceptance posts are amazing), Lesley Kinzel's writing on xojane.com, Frocks & Frou Frou, Nearsighted Owl... oh, the list goes on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know, it's actually amazing to feel like you're ALLOWED to embrace your body, exactly the way you are!

      I'll be checking out your blog v soon! :D

      Delete
  2. These are such good points!
    -Charlotte
    http://www.incharlottesshoes.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you hun! I'll be checking out your blog when I've written up today's post :D

      Delete