Wednesday 8 May 2013

9. BEDM // Your First Job

Hello lovelies.

I've had my fair share of jobs over the last 5 years that I've been working, in fact, I've had 7 jobs and I'm still only 20! It's fair to say some of the jobs have been better than others, and some have lasted a lot longer than others!

My actual first job was as a kitchen porter in a hotel and restaurant very close to my home, but as I only did 2 shifts, I don't really have much to say. Same problem with my second job which was again a kitcher porter but this time in a local pub.

Therefore, I've decided to do this post on my 3rd job which was in a very well-known supermarket. *cough* Tesco *cough* when I was 16. I was just starting my AS-levels and, like all teenagers, I was desperate for money for clothes, going out and just generally wasting on trashy magazines and chocolate. I was over the moon when I landed a job at a huge supermarket nearby; the pay (as it's a large corporation) was really good, the hours fitted in perfectly with my studies (5-9pm, three days per week) and there was always the possibility for overtime.

The main thing that I remember was, as a hormonal teenager, I had a crush on almost all of my male colleagues. Looking back now, I cringe massively, but at the time I thought my supervisor and co-workers were, as I would of said back then, "lush." My actual job, on the other hand, wasn't quite so enticing.

I was 'the person who reduces the prices of the food,' and my job was to check every item in the fresh food department for dates, to see whether it could be reduced or not. This involved pushing an ancient trolley around and forever scanning products and typing little codes into a rather out-dated looking machine. There's nothing particularily memorable about this job apart from people hassling me to reduce food for them (occasionally when it wasn't anyway near it's sell by date!) which can be quite intimidating. 

I worked in this job for a 6-month period, from September 2009-April 2010 and I was 'let go' with just one days notice, which my boss told me he 'had no idea about,' which I always thought was a bit bizarre. However, I always believe that every experience teaches you something and, on this occasion, I learnt that working in a supermarket environment really isn't for me...

The atmosphere in a supermarket is quite manic. Everybody is rushing around, nobody really wants to be there, there's very little natural daylight, etc. It's just not a nice place to be but, having said that, I am still grateful that I worked there as I met some lovely people and, more importantly at the time, earnt some pennies!

What was your first job?
Have you worked in a supermarket? Did you love it or hate it?

Love,
Becci xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment