Tuesday 28 May 2013

26. BEDM // Bad Advice

Afternoon lovelies.

Unfortunately the bank holiday is over and we're all back to work again today, which is a shame. Although I have the week off, I'm stuck in the house as my boyfriend is working, my friends are all either back to work or finishing off their exams at university, and I don't even have any money to go for a coffee and read a book somewhere. 

Hmmph, as you can probably tell, I'm not really feeling it today. I'm not sure what has set it off but I'm sure I'll be feeling better by tomorrow.

Anyway, today's topic for BEDM is 'Bad Advice.' I've really struggled with this topic; I was thinking about it all day yesterday and really wasn't sure what to write about. However, following a conversation with my boyfriend last night, it dawned on me that I have been subject to some bad advice and, unfortunately, I chose to take it.

The bad advice I received concerns a really personal, emotional time in my life and so I won't go into too much detail about it. Both out of respect, for myself and everyone else who was affected, and for the sake of my emotions.

Two years ago, I found myself in a really difficult situation. I had just found out something and didn't really know how to react to it. I had no idea what to do next, what to say or what to be feeling. I confided first of all in my boyfriend and best-friend who were very supportive and gave me the kind of advice I'd been hoping for. At this point, I felt that I knew exactly what I wanted to do and had no intentions of changing my mind.

However, when I brought up the issue with my family, they were less supportive. I do need to say, they were helpful and they were only thinking about me, but they urged me to change my mind. I suppose they were going down the whole 'think with your head, not with your heart' root but, to be honest, I tend to think with my heart rather than my head. 

It's amazing how much of an influence your family can have over you. Whilst I was so grateful for the advice from my boyfriend and best-friend, I felt like I needed to take my families advice. We're constantly striving to make our families proud and this is an example of that.

I did - or rather, didn't do - something that I wanted to do, because my family urged me not to. Now, two years down the line, I just wonder what would be different if I had followed my heart. My parents have even said this to me, my mum even once said that she wished I'd stuck to my original decision... but you can't change what's already happened.

I know this post isn't really great as I've not given any detail but some of you may be able to tell what I'm writing about and, even if you can't, I'm sure you can understand the point that I'm making. From this bad advice, I learnt one good piece of advice: listen to your heart.

Love, 
Becci xox

No comments:

Post a Comment